It’s a given that your dream dress will be discovered in the company of your best girls, be that your mum, sisters or friends, but should your groom see your wedding dress too? If you’re a stickler for tradition or err on the side of superstition, your answer will likely be no, he can wait until you get to the aisle.LOLAROSEPHOTOGRAPHY.COM
Should your Groom see Your Wedding Dress?
For some couples, seeing each other before the ceremony has become the new favourite, taking away their nerves, giving them a private moment together, and allowing for some beautiful first look photos to be taken.
So we’ve rounded up some arguments for and against letting your groom see your wedding dress so you can decide what is right for you.
Keep it Secret
- It’s bad luck to even see each other before the wedding, let alone for him to see your wedding dress, too!
- You want it to be a surprise for everyone, including him, so you can fully enjoy your big moment.
- As you step down the aisle, emotions will be high, so when he sees you, his beautiful bride, for the first time it’ll be ten times more amazing.
- He loves you for you, so you know he’ll love whatever dress you choose.
Let him see
- You don’t have to show him ages in advance, it can still be a surprise for your wedding day, but by seeing each other in the morning before the ceremony, you can reassure each other and whisk away any wedding nerves, letting you enjoy the moment fully when the time comes.
- These days, many photographers give you the option of first look photos (add them to this list of your essential photos so your photographer knows what to get). This way, you won’t be leaving it to chance to capture your groom’s expression when he sees you – they’ll do that for you.
- Depending on how traditional you are intending to go, your bridesmaids may be dressed the same. In the old days, the tradition was to dress your bridesmaids the same as the bride, in white. This was to confuse evil spirits
- If you had a say in his suit choice, it’s only fair that he should get to give your dress choice the once over too, right?